The city has several resolutions regarding city yard and waste disposal. The following are ways that disposal should be handled.
Garbage containers are owned by the trash collection company and should remain with the property. On the day of collection, containers need to be placed out by 6:00 am.
Any questions can be directed to Town & Country Sanitation at 800-626-1915.
Garbage & Recycling Container Placement and Instructions
Garbage and Recycling Collection Schedule
All recycling bins for in town residents will be picked up on a biweekly basis with garbage bins. Any scheduled pick up days on a holiday and days following a holiday will run one day late.
See link for schedule: https://www.townandcountrysanitation.com/schedule/waukon-ia
The following are acceptable items to be recycled:
- Glass: Soda, beer, wine and liquor bottles, juice and food containers, ketchup bottles; all colors please rinse clean, no lids, unbroken labels on ok. Not acceptable: mirrors, ceramic cups and plates, clay flower pots, crystal, light bulbs, window glass, heat resistant ovenware nor drinking glasses.
- Plastic: Containers must have recycling symbol #1 through #7, no plastic bags. Items which can be tied together (such as milk cartons) may be placed next to bin. Please rinse and no caps or lids, styrofoam is not recyclable.
- Newspaper: Must be bundled and tied in a box or garbage bag, keep dry, may be placed next to bin, magazines and catalogs must be bundled and tied too.
- Tin Cans: Rinse clean, emptied aerosol cans are recyclable. Aluminum: Make sure foil is aluminum and rinse.
- Others: Corrugated cardboard and boxboard (cereal, pop, etc. must be flattened, bundled and tied, in 3x4 sheets or smaller). Office paper place in sealed clear bag. Batteries and waste oil will be picked up curbside as long as it is nothing bigger than 5 gallon jug with leakproof cap.
For any questions, please contact: Town & Country Sanitation at 800-626-1915
Recycling items can also be taken to the Allamakee County Recycling Center at 869 Hwy 9, Waukon, IA. Contact 563-568-4806 for more information.
Recycling, Trash Disposal, Household Hazardous Waste Information
Yard waste would include leaves, grass clippings, yard and garden debris and brush including clean woody vegetative material. This can be deposited behind the Allamakee County Fairgrounds between the hours of 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, seven days a week. For questions, contact Street Superintendent Keith Burrett at 563-568-2765.
Leaf Pick Up is usually scheduled to start in October; please check the paper for specific dates each year! City street crew will vacuum up all the leaves that are raked into the gutter of the street or unto the very edge of the street where there is no curb and gutter. Please put leaves in windrow, not in piles. Contact Keith Burrett, Street Superintendent with any questions at 563.568.2765
Spring Clean Up is usually scheduled in May; please check the paper for specific dates each year! Please have at curbside by 6:00 am. No return trips. Items NOT accepted include: tires, batteries, liquids or chemicals, construction or remodeling debris, yard waste, ashes, hazardous waste, household appliances, microwaves, TVs, computers or electronic parts. Please have material boxed or bagged for pickup. Set furniture, etc. curbside. If there are any questions, please call Town and Country Sanitation at 800.626.1915. This is for Waukon residents only.
City Code of Ordinances Chapter 136.03 REMOVAL of SNOW, ICE AND ACCUMULATIONS.
It is the responsibility of the abutting property owners to remove snow, ice and accumulations promptly from sidewalks. If a property owner does not remove snow, ice or accumulations within a reasonable time, the City may do so and assess the costs against the property owner for collection in the same manner as a property tax. (Administrative policy defines "promptly" to mean within twenty-four hours after snow stops falling.)
City Code of Ordinances Chapter 135.12 DUMPING OF SNOW.
No person shall push, plow, shovel, blow or otherwise deposit or cause to be deposited any snow or ice on any public sidewalk or on the traveled portion of any public street or alley, except that snow or ice removed from a public sidewalk may be deposited on a public street on street frontages where no private yard or public boulevard areas adjoin the sidewalk.