Swim Team Guidelines for Ages Eight & Under
All members of the swim team must be at least five years of age. There are two groups of eight and under swimmers. Those that can swim one length of the pool (25 yards) and those that are unable to swim one length of the pool. Those that can swim one length of the pool will be classified as Eight and Under. Those that cannot swim the length of the pool, but are able to meet the minimum requirements, will be classified as a Nemo. The number of Eight and Under swimmers (those that can swim the length of the pool) is unlimited.
The minimum qualification to swim as an Eight and Under is to be able to swim one length of the pool. The minimum qualifications to be considered a Nemo include:
- Must be able to get in water on own and is comfortable in the water
- Must be able to get eyes, mouth, and hair wet
- Must be able to completely submerge body in the water → Do a “bob” 3 times
- Must be able to retrieve a toy from bottom of pool
- Must be able to blow bubbles through mouth and nose
- Must be able to float on front and back for 5 seconds each unassisted
- Must be able to show alternating arms while standing (Freestyle and Backstroke arms)
- Must be able to kick with board across shallow end on front unassisted
- Must be able to jump into water unassisted and return to the side
IMPORTANT: All eight and under individuals who are interested in swim team will be required to “try-out” to see if they are eligible to be on swim team. If qualified, this will determine what group they will practice with. “Try-outs” will take place at the pool on dates in May yet to be determined. We are tentatively looking at the weekend of May 21 and possibly during the following week if more slots are needed. More details will be available on our Waukon Park & Rec Facebook page once we have dates and times selected for “try-outs.” Once that information is released, you will sign up for one 15-minute time slot for your 8 & under child to “try-out.” On the day of the “try-out,” your child will be asked to complete ALL tasks listed above. ALL eight & unders MUST “try-out” regardless if you participated in swim team previously. If a swimmer is not able to meet the minimum guidelines to be a Nemo, it is recommended that they sign up for swim lessons (public or private). This will ensure that your child will be able to improve their basic swimming skills in order to participate at a later date. **EIGHT AND UNDERS DO NOT NEED TO PAY THE SWIM TEAM FEE UNTIL THE FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE.
*Please sign up for ONE 15-minute time slot for your 8 & under child to “try-out.”
In addition, please read through ALL information on the Google Sheet.
ONLINE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE: APRIL 28-MAY 6!
DeadlineMay 10, 2022
Dates & TimesTentatively start the week of June 1
LocationWaukon Aquatic Center
After May 3, 2022 the registration fee increases by $10 so register early!
Online Registration is available:
Please create a family account. You can pay online with a Credit/Debit Card.
Program Updates & Additional Documents
- Summer Heja App Instructions
- Swim Info Letter 2022
- Swim Team Info 2022
- Swim Team Parent’s Meeting 2022
- Swim Team Picture Form 2022
Swim Team Practices **Practice will officially start on Tuesday, May 31st! (Nemos will officially start on June 1st.) (Optional practice – TBD if any) Practice will be every day (Monday-Friday) up until the first meet which is June 7th. After that, practice will only be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. The times are designated below by age groups. Practice times:
- 7:00-8:30am (13 yrs. old & up)
- 8:30-9:30am (9-12 yrs. old)
- 9:30-10:15am (8 yrs. old & under)
Nemos will only practice Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays AND will only participate in last home swim meet ***Depending on the weather (can be very cold in the mornings), practice times may vary the first couple weeks. If practice is cancelled in the morning, there may be an alternative practice at the Wellness Center or from 5:15-6:45pm at the pool that day. Coaches will notify everyone if practices are cancelled or moved.
Swim Meet Schedule
- Tuesday, June 7- West Union @ Waukon
- Thursday, June 9- Waukon @ Calmar (Bus @ 3:15pm)
- Tuesday, June 14- Sumner @ Waukon
- Thursday, June 16- Decorah @ Waukon
- Tuesday, June 21- Waukon @ Elkader/St. Point (Bus @ 3:05pm)
- Thursday, June 23- Monona/Postville @ Waukon
- Tuesday, June 28- Waukon—BYE
- Thursday, June 30- Waukon @ Manchester (Bus @ 2:30pm)
- Tuesday, July 5- Waukon @ Cresco (Bus @ 3:05pm)
ALL DUAL MEETS:
- Warm-up at 4:30pm
- Starts at 5:00pm
**Conference Meet hosted by Monona/Postville @ Monona Saturday, July 9
- Warm-up at 9:00am
- Starts at 10:00am